How do I get to the Fire Department administrative offices?

The Fire Department administrative offices are located at 8150 Post Road (Route 1). We are located in the the Public Safety Building, just south of the RI State Police Wickford Barracks. Enter the parking lot via the south entrance, and park in the front parking lot. There is an entrance in the center of the building, enter and come into the lobby, turn left and enter the stairwell to the lower level. The NKFD Administrative offices are on the ground floor, roughly in the center of the complex. The door is marked. Regular office hours are weekdays from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM.

How does 911 work?

When a person calls 911 for help, the call is routed through the E911 headquarters in Providence. The call is answered "police, fire or rescue". The operator confirms the location of the emergency and stays on the line while the call is transferred to the appropriate emergency service. Rhode Island uses an enhanced 911 (E911) system which offers additional benefits. The call is automatically tracked, with the name and address of the caller appearing on the computer screen in 911 Headquarters. The operator is able to summon assistance to the calling address, even if the caller hangs up the telephone without saying anything. For a hang-up, the operator will make a confirmation call to the calling party while transferring the call to the appropriate police department. There are two things that you can do to make this system work properly. First, be sure that you are using the correct house number. This can be verified by calling the North Kingstown 911 Coordinator (Tax Assessor) at (401) 294-3331. Second, it is critical that your correct 911 address be clearly visible from the street so that emergency responders can locate your address quickly. If you post the number on your mailbox, be sure that it appears on BOTH sides. Use contrasting colors to improve visibility of your numbers. Avoid the use of script numerals.


Can I listen to the Fire Department on my scanner?

The North Kingstown Fire Department operates on a frequency of 154.235 MHz.


How can I report a fire or emergency?

Report a fire or emergency by calling 911. A second emergency phone number for the Fire Department is (401) 294-3344.


Should I report a small fire, even if it's already out?

YES! RI General Law requires that ALL fires be reported to the Fire Department. This law exists for some good reasons:

  • The fire may appear "out" but can re-ignite, or may be burning inside a wall or underground.
  • The fire may have been set by an arsonist. ALL fires are investigated by the Fire Department to determine the origin and cause.
  • A child who is caught lighting a fire has often lit many others and should receive a professional screening and education program.


But it was only kids.........!

Some of the statistics regarding children and fire are staggering. Child fire deaths represent 23% of all fire deaths nationally. Of every 100 people who die in fires, 24 are killed because of children playing with fire. Of every 100 people who die in child-set fires, 85 are children. Ninety percent of these child fire deaths occur in homes without working smoke detectors. In the first six months of 1995, referrals to Rhode Island Family Court for arson had increased 76.5 percent over a similar period last year. A child who is caught lighting a fire has often lit many others and should receive a professional screening and education program.


What kind of fire extinguisher should I buy?

Every house should have a working fire extinguisher. Most households would be well served with a multi-purpose ABC dry-chemical fire extinguisher. Every extinguisher is identified by symbols, indicating the type of fires they can extinguish. Be sure that all three symbols are there. Read the instructions regarding the size of the extinguisher, and be sure it is not too large to handle comfortably. A common size extinguisher for homes is rated (2A:10B:C). Extinguishers should be installed above the reach of children, away from sources of heat, and near an escape route. Read the instructions regarding how to operate your extinguisher BEFORE you need it ! Always call the fire department FIRST, then attempt to extinguish the fire. Keep your back to an unobstructed exit, and stand six to eight feet away from the fire. To operate most extinguishers, remember PASS: P Pull the pin A Aim low at the BASE of the fire S Squeeze the lever (or button) S Sweep from side to side Move carefully toward the fire. Keep the extinguisher aimed at the base of the fire. Beware of re-ignition.


Do I need a fire inspection?

The Fire Department will conduct a Residential Fire Safety inspection upon the request of an owner or occupant. Call 294-3346 ext 7201 to schedule an inspection. Commercial occupancies are inspected for a number of reasons:

  • Change of tenancy, or the re-occupancy of an existing building
  • New buildings and additions
  • License-holders (liquor, victualling, education, daycare, body shops)
  • Reports of Fire Code violations
  • Targeted risks (places of assembly, hazardous materials)


Should I have a carbon monoxide detector?

All fuel-burning equipment produces carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, colorless, and odorless poisonous gas. Normally, the gas from the combustion process is vented safely up a chimney or flue pipe, but there are times when the gas can enter your home. Some common ways that carbon monoxide can enter your home are as follows:

  • Fireplaces and woodstoves with obstructed flues or down-draft conditions.
  • Attached garages with vehicles running.
  • Furnaces, water heaters, stoves, and gas-fired clothes dryers which are not properly vented.
  • Space heaters fueled by gas, propane, or kerosene.

If any of these conditions could apply, you should have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home. Follow the manufacturer instructions regarding proper placement. If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds, call 911. If anyone is feeling ill, complains of a headache, or has "flu-like" symptoms, evacuate the house IMMEDIATELY. The Fire Department has detection instruments that can assist you should your carbon monoxide alarm sound.


How can I request a fire safety presentation?

The Fire Department offers fire safety presentations to schools, civic groups, and businesses upon request. Call (401) 294-3346 ext 7201 for more information regarding programs and scheduling.


How many smoke detectors do I need in my house?

Every house should have at least one smoke detector on each level. A detector is needed for each sleeping area. In addition, a detector should be placed inside each bedroom. The actual Fire Code requirements, based on the year your house was built, are found in the Smoke Detector Requirement page.

  • Smoke detectors have a useful life of only ten years or less. If your detectors are prone to frequent "false alarms" or are approaching ten years...REPLACE THEM ALL!!!
  • Smoke detector batteries should be changed twice a year. When you change your clocks...change you smoke detector batteries.
  • If you have hard-wired detectors and replace a detector, be sure they are still interconnected.
  • When one sounds, they all sound. Replace detectors with compatible replacements.


Do I need a burning permit?

The regulation of open fires is governed by Town Ordinance, see Burning Laws on this site.


What is the ISO rating for the Town of North Kingstown?

The Town of North Kingstown has an ISO rating of 4.