North Kingstown Transfer Station
345 Devils Foot Road
Transfer Station Foreman - Jim Hinson
Scale House Clerk: Adele Sinapi
Transfer Station Hours: Tuesday, Friday & Saturday - 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
TRANSFER STATION OPEN REGULAR HOURS THE WEEK OF THANKSGIVING
SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING IN RI RESULTS IN CHANGES TO CONTAINER LOCATIONS AT THE TRANSFER STATION:
ATTENTION RESIDENTS! Now that you no longer have to separate recycling, changes have been made at the Transfer Station regarding which containers are used for what recycled item. Plastic bottles/jugs and cans are NOW recycled in the containers labeled "Single Stream". ALL recyclables that are accepted curbside now are recycled TOGETHER in these closed roll-off containers with newspapers and mixed paper. All metal should be disposed of in the metals area, not in the single stream recycling containers. NEW at the facility: Residents may now recycle RIGID PLASTICS free of charge. The container is located where the bottles/cans roll-off container was previously.
RIGID PLASTIC DO'S & DON'TS
Do Collect: Don't:
Buckets/Drums Non-plastic materials
Garbage Cans/Totes Styrofoam
Recycling Bins PVC Pipe/Tubing
Milk Crates Vinyl Siding
Kitty litter buckets #1-7 food containers
Laundry baskets Plastic film or bags
Your cooperation in using the PROPER containers for recycling is appreciated in order to reduce load contamination; load contamination means the load can no longer be recycled and disposal costs increase from $0.00 per ton to $32 per ton!
- Residential Household Waste-$1.60 per bag, only with North Kingstown Tag. Tags are sold in sheets of 5 only, at a cost of $8.00 per sheet. ONLY 013/014 pink tags.
- Commercial Household Waste (with Town license)- $1.60 per bag, only with North Kingstown Tag or $160 dollars per ton.
- Metal, brush, wood waste, demolition material, appliances (without refrigerant), and bulky items (those that do not fit in a 34 gallon bag)- $.08 per pound, with an $8.00 minimum.
- Appliances with refrigerant (e.g. refrigerator, air conditioner, freezer, and dehumidifier)- $12.50 per unit.
- Mattresses and Box Springs - $20.00 each
- Leaves and grass clippings-no charge to residents.
- Leaves and grass clippings from Commercial Customers-$8.00 per cubic yard, with an $8.00 minimum.
- Tires, without the rims (maximum of 4) $2.00 per tire.
- Empty Propane Tanks $3.00 per tank
- Recyclable materials, e.g. metal cans, plastic containers less than 2-gal (liquid ounce), glass, corrugated cardboard (flattened), newspapers, mixed paper, rigid plastics, used motor oil, batteries, used books and clothing, acceptable E-waste, Christmas trees (seasonal) -at no charge to residents.
CLICK BELOW TO VIEW A COPY OF THE TOWN'S:
TRANSFER STATION OPERATING PLAN COMPOST OPERATIONS PLAN FACILITY RULES & REGULATIONS
E-Waste Disposal Program Available
The Town of North Kingstown provides an E-Waste collection program at the North Kingstown Transfer Station for the disposal of unwanted televisions and computer/electronic equipment. This program is available to ALL Rhode Island residents.
Residents disposing of televisions and computer monitors are asked to stop at the Scale House for instructions on how to dispose of these items. Residents disposing of all other acceptable items are asked to drop them off with transfer station personnel at the scale house. Only those items listed will be accepted. See below for a complete list.
Used Books for Charity Collection Available at the Transfer Station
The Town of North Kingstown is partnering with Reading Tree, Books for Charity for a book for charity collection program. A container is available at the Transfer Station for residents to dispose of all hard cover and paperback books. All types of books, except encyclopedias and year books, books on tape and DVD are acceptable. Reading Tree is a non-profit organization that collects books from families who no longer want them, and delivers them to children, families, schools and libraries that desperately need them. To date, Reading Tree has delivered over 1.7 million donated books to schools, libraries and children!
For more information contact the Town's Recycling Coordinator at (401) 294-3331, ext. 601.
Gently Used Clothing & Shoe Donation Box at the Transfer Station
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Ocean State (formerly known as Big Sisters of Rhode Island) has located a donation box for gently used clothing and shoes at the Transfer Station. Proceeds from donations are used to fund and sustain the organization's mission to enrich the lives of children facing adversity in Rhode Island. The container is located next to the Books for Charity collection box.