Boards and Commissions
Below are links to various Town Committees, Commissions, and Boards, including their members, terms and a brief description of their charge.
If you are interested in serving on a board or commission, please fill out the Public Service Application and submit to the Town Clerk's Office.
The following Boards, Commission and Boards have vacancies:
ARTS COUNCIL: to promote and encourage programs for the development of public awareness and interest in various art forms; such as fine and performing arts, the appreciation of the colonial past, and the heritage of various ethnic groups. This Council meets the second Wednesday of each month. The appointment is for three (3) members - one (1) to fill an unexpired term to March 1, 2016 and two (2) to fill an unexpired term to March 1, 2017.
ASSET MANAGEMENT COMMISSION: the purpose of this commission shall be to review all capital improvement and asset protection requests related to Town and School facilities, establish their priorities, determine funding levels and formulate a comprehensive capital improvement program and an asset protection plan to be presented to the Town Council. The commission shall be responsible for projecting major expenditures needed to maintain existing municipal and school facilities, projecting new public facilities and reviewing the five-year, ten-year, and twenty-year capital improvement and asset protection programs. To develop fiscal programs, generate innovative financing options and seek creative alternative funding for the capital improvement projects and asset protection projects. The appointment is for one (1) School Committee Representative to July 1, 2018.
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ADVISORY BOARD: this board serves in an advisory capacity to the Town Council. Its duties shall be to advise the Council on the following matters:
(1) the attraction and expansion of business, commerce, industrial and commercial development which is consistent with environmental goals, policies and standards established in the North Kingstown Comprehensive Plan as updated and in Town ordinances and regulations;
(2) development of voluntary site and design standards for business development and expansion of existing firms, with an emphasis on the Post Road Corridor;
(3) town support for the efforts of the Quonset Point/Davisville Management Corporation and its Council representatives in an effort to deliver, in cooperation with the State, environmentally sound and financially prudent development at Quonset Point/Davisville;
(4) appropriate development regulations in the Wickford Village, along the Post Road Corridor, other business development areas; and
(5) such other matters, which the Council may, from time to time, refer to it.
The appointment is for one (1) Second Alternate Member to December 1, 2017.
GROUNDWATER COMMITTEE: to assist the Town in planning future land and water use; facilitate the implementation of the Groundwater Protection Plan; promote public interest in and understanding of groundwater. The Committee meets the first Thursday of each month. The appointment is for one (1) member to July 1, 2017.
WICKFORD PLAN COMMITTEE: assisting with implementation of the Wickford Village Plan and participating in discussion of Wickford Village activities as warranted. The Commission meets on the fourth Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. The appointment is for one (1) member to December 1, 2016.
Applications are also available at the Town Clerk's Office, Planning Department and Library. Applications must be received in the Town Clerk's Office on or before July 30, 2015.
Boards, Commission and Committee's Handbook - adopted by the Town Council January 2008.
To view Membership Rosters of all Boards and Committees see below.