The Town of North Kingstown has two exemptions for residents over the age of 65. The flat exemption is available to North Kingstown residents who have owned property in North Kingstown for a period of 15 years and were legally domiciled in North Kingstown for the calendar year 2012 and reside in the dwelling for which the exemption is applied. The income exemption is available for a one (1) person household with a maximum household income of $24,574 and a two (2) person household up to $33,286 living in a single-family residence. You may qualify for one or both of the elderly exemptions. Application must be filed with the assessor’s office each year.
1. Flat Exemption - $28,100 – only one per household no income requirement:
1. You are a legal resident of North Kingstown;
2. you have reached the age of 65 as of December 31, 2012;
3. you resided in the Town as of December 31, 2012 in a dwelling owned by you; and
4. you have owned property(s) in the town for a period of fifteen years, which he/she has occupied, at least on a seasonal basis.
How to apply:
1. fill out the enclosed application form, Section 1;
2. sign and have notarized or witnessed Section 3 of the attached form;
3. submit it to the Tax Assessor by March 15, 2013;
4. and enclose a copy of either
· your Rhode Island driver’s license (or valid Rhode Island I.D. issued by the Registry of Motor Vehicles) or
· your birth certificate and proof of legal residency (such as utility bill in your name with the North Kingstown mailing address).
2. Income Based Exemption - $80,000-$146,300:
This tax exemption is in addition to the flat exemption described previously. The exemption is available for a one (1) person household with a maximum gross household income of $24,574 and a two (2) person household with income up to $33,286. “Gross household income” means all funds received by an individual and his or her spouse and any other individuals residing in the single family dwelling for which an exemption is being applied. If your total household income is equal to or below these levels, you should complete the attached application in its entirety – Section 1, Section 2 - Statement of Annual Income and Section 3. When applying for the income-based exemption, include documentation for all income reported on the application form. The exemption is based on the income from the 2012 calendar year. All income information is confidential. Additionally, if you or the other residents of the property are required to submit a Federal or State Personal Income Tax Return, a copy of it must accompany the application
Applications for both exemptions must be completed each year and returned to the Tax Assessor’s Office, 80 Boston Neck Road, North Kingstown, Rhode Island, 02852 by March 15th of each year.
What if you have questions or need help filling out the Application Form?
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Assessor’s Office between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 268-1531. The Assessor’s Office Staff will assist with filling out the application and can make copies of all documentation.
Do you know someone who may qualify for an elderly tax exemption?
Please help us update our mailing list by providing us with their name and address so we can let them know about the elderly exemption program. Just call the Assessor’s Office at 268-1531.
Applications for both exemptions must be completed each year and returned to the Tax Assessor’s Office, 80 Boston Neck Road, North Kingstown, RI 02852.