Lawn & Landscape Irrigation Regulations
Lawn watering restricted to twice per week during July and August. North Kingstown has, at times, experienced a water supply shortfall under maximum summer day water demand conditions. In other words, we do not have adequate pumping capacity to consistently meet the highest water demands we have experienced.
We have at times exceeded pumping capacity. Our ability to provide municipal water and fire service is dependent on publicly promoting effective policies to reduce peak demand and other wasteful uses of our potable water supply.
North Kingstown Utilities Ordinance Amendment
In the interest of protecting public health and safety, and after considerable public discussion, the North Kingstown Town Council adopted an amendment to the North Kingstown Utilities Ordinance. This amendment restricts the irrigation of lawns and landscaping for properties using irrigation (sprinkler) systems to two (2) days per week.
Duration of restrictions for lawn and landscape irrigation of lawns and landscaping for properties using sprinkler systems is restricted to twice per week from July 1 through September 1, on an annual basis, or until such time as this section is repealed rescinded or superseded. Schedule of irrigation of lawns and landscaping irrigation of lawns and landscaping is restricted from July 1 through September 1 in accordance with the following:
- Irrigation District 1: Sprinkler use allowed on Monday and Thursday only
- Includes all North Kingstown water customers located to the east of Route 1 / Post Road / Tower Hill Road.
- Irrigation District 2: Sprinkler use allowed on Tuesday and Friday only
- Includes all North Kingstown water customers located to the west of Route 1 / Post Road / Tower Hill Road.
- No sprinkler operation will be permitted in any district between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. or on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday
- Hand watering of flowers and / or vegetable gardens is permitted at anytime.
- View the North Kingstown Irrigation Districts Map (PDF)